A New Year’s Invitation
New Year in September?
The new program year for St. Andrew’s Cathedral begins with our Ministry Fair on Sunday, September 7, 2014 following our 8 and 10:30 am services.
Perhaps you desire a deeper faith-walk with Christ through study and prayer. You may recognize that only attending Sunday services and offering our daily personal prayers has not led to any noticeable spiritual growth in recent years… Yet in the various arenas of our lives, most have discovered the principle that “iron sharpens iron.” In our Christian journey, we need each other to stretch our beliefs and stir us to think more deeply about scripture and how our faith affects us and those around us. I invite you to consider one or more of the following study and prayer opportunities:
• Sunday Adult Formation Hour – Sundays, 9:20 – 10:10 am
• Wednesday Bible Study – Wednesdays, 11 – 12 pm
• The Dean’s Book Club – Wednesdays, 10 – 11 am
• Education for Ministry (EfM) – a comprehensive 4 year study of scripture, history and theology – Wednesdays, 5:30 – 8:00 pm
• Spiritual Growth Group – third Tuesdays, 4:45 – 6:30 pm
• Men’s Spiritual Growth Group (TBA)
• Evensong – a contemplative way of experiencing God in Music and Scripture – Wednesdays and Sundays, 5:30 pm
• Weekday Eucharist – daily, 7:15 am except Wednesdays, 12:15 pm
We are grateful for the Cathedral’s role in ushering in “the Kingdom of God on earth, as it is in Heaven…” Our life together requires the talents of all of us in many areas of service, including liturgical ministry. Please consider where you can serve; even if it’s only once a month or once a quarter. You might consider a call to serve on the Altar Guild, an acolyte, an usher or greeter, Eucharistic Ministers, server, ministry of hospitality, office volunteers, members to serve on Chapter (vestry), people to count the offerings, Hawaiian Committee members. These are just a few ministries integral to our life at the Cathedral. Come and share your time and talent with us.
Outreach and Social Justice. As Archbishop William Temple said – “The Church is the only society on earth that exists for the benefit of non-members.” No doubt, we followers of Christ, we are to imitate our Lord’s lead in feeding the hungry, healing the sick, and speaking for the voiceless. Please consider coming to the Annual Outreach Planning Meeting on Sep 20, 10 am, when we will determine where our time, talent and treasure is to be given to the world. We have lots of opportunities!
• Sandwich Ministry for the hungry in our neighborhood – Sundays, 12 noon
• IHS Cooking Ministry – 2nd Saturdays, 12 – 2 pm
• Cathedral’s Community Organic Garden
• Social Justice
• Supporting community schools and churches around the world
Our Ministry Fair on Sun., Sep. 7 will be a celebration of all we do at St. Andrew’s. It will be a great time to make new friends, learn about our Christian Formation programs, and find ways to grow in service to our community. Bring friends. Discover new and exciting opportunities in the New Year!
Go for it! Jesus says, “Come – follow me…”
Yours in Christ,